Losing a spouse or family member to the careless actions of another individual can be heartbreaking. If your loved one has passed away in an accident caused by a negligent party, you have the right to pursue an insurance claim or wrongful death lawsuit.
ALakeland wrongful death lawyer from Dismuke Law can help you navigate the legal process with compassion and sensitivity. We will construct an evidence-based claim and demand the settlement you need.
When to Consider Hiring a Wrongful Death Attorney in Lakeland, FL
If you’re unsure whether you’re eligible to file a wrongful death claim, an attorney from our firm can assess your circumstances and advise you on your legal options. Here are some of the criteria they’ll look for to determine if you have the right to file a wrongful death claim or lawsuit:
- There was a death.
- The death was caused by another person’s negligence or intent to harm.
- The surviving family faces monetary losses because of the accident.
If any of these elements is missing or untrue, the case may not succeed. Therefore, it’s vital to consider hiring a professional, experienced lawyer. Our team understands how to demonstrate these elements and recover what you need.
Who Can File a Claim?
Florida law puts restrictions on who can file a wrongful death claim. If you are the decedent’s spouse, child, or parent, you are within your rights under Florida Statutes § 768.20 to pursue legal action against the individual or entity who caused your loved one’s passing.
If you are the decedent’s sibling or extended family member, you should consider speaking to our wrongful death lawyers in Lakeland, FL, about your options. Friends and colleagues of the deceased are generally not permitted to take legal action.
For a free legal consultation with a wrongful death lawyer serving Lakeland, call 863-250-5050
Damages You Might Receive From a Wrongful Death Claim
It is impossible to accurately assess the value of a person’s life with money. With that said, the purpose of a wrongful death claim is to ensure that the deceased’s family is financially taken care of.
Depending on the circumstances of the case, you may receive compensation for:
- Lost wages: If you depended on the decedent’s income, these damages could help you stay financially stable during this uncertain time.
- Medical expenses: Depending on your loved one’s death circumstances, you may have been left with their end-of-life medical bills. These damages can cover any hospital visits or medical procedures your loved one received before their passing.
- Loss of companionship: If you relied on the decedent for advice and affection, these damages can help you cope with your loss of companionship.
- Funeral expenses: Giving your loved one a proper funeral and burial can offer the closure you deserve. These damages can help you give your loved one a memorable farewell.
- Pain and suffering: If your loved one was in great physical pain before they passed, our wrongful death attorneys can add these damages to your claim.
- Emotional distress: The sudden and tragic loss of a loved one can seriously affect a person’s psyche. If you’ve experienced problems with your mental health in the weeks and months following your loved one’s death, a lawyer can request damages to account for these hardships.
Our firm supports you and your family through this difficult time. Please, do not hesitate to contact us.
We’ve Recovered Positive Outcomes for Grieving Families in Polk County
Our firm knows that no amount of money can truly account for your pain, suffering, and grief. Yet, we hope that a financial award serves as a measure of justice. In addition to accounting for certain losses, compensation can also grant much-needed closure.
You can rest easily with our team on your side. That’s because we’ll do everything possible to secure the best possible outcome. Some of our previous case results include these stories:
- Our clients came to us after tragically losing a five-year-old in a traffic accident. At first, the insurance company didn’t make an offer. So, we took the case to trial and recovered $16.5 million.
- A driver on meth struck our client’s loved one head-on, causing a fatal collision. This highly-publicized case found its way into the Lakeland Ledger. We secured $7.25 million at trial.
- Our clients lost a loved one in a fatal auto accident. The liable insurance policy only offered $10,000 in coverage. Yet, through a bad faith claim, we secured $1.1 million.
These are just some of our success stories. When you entrust us with your case, we treat it as though it involves one of our family members. You can rest easy that with Dismuke Law on your side, we can do everything possible to secure what you need.
Lakeland Wrongful Death Lawyer Near Me 863-250-5050
Our Lawyers Can Prove Negligence in a Wrongful Death Case
To file a wrongful death claim, the at-fault party must have been negligent and responsible for the death. Your attorney will collect evidence of your loved one’s accident to prove negligence. They’ll analyze police reports, witness statements, and other forms of evidence to build a case against the negligent party.
Types of Wrongful Death Incidents Our Lakeland Attorneys Have Filed Claims for
Our wrongful death lawyers have experience filing claims for fatal injuries sustained in several incidents. After working on hundreds of cases, we’ve gained the expertise to promote your case’s success.
Our team in Lakeland can help you pursue damages if you lost a loved one in a:
- Lakeland car accident
- Truck accident
- Bus accident
- Motorcycle accident
- Uber or Lyft accident
- Pedestrian accident
- DUI accident
- Boating accident
- Premises liability incident
- Negligent security incident
If someone close to you has passed away in one of the above mentioned situations, we offer our deepest condolences. Our wrongful death attorneys will investigate your loved one’s accident and build a strong wrongful death claim, so you and your family can get the financial support you need.
The Deadline for Wrongful Death Lawsuits in Lakeland, FL
HB 837’s new provisions must file your wrongful death lawsuit. The bill states that you generally have two years from the date of the decedent’s passing to file a civil suit. One of our wrongful death lawyers can keep your case on track and file your case before the deadline.
However, if you wait too long to contact an attorney, they might not have the time to abide by the state’s filing deadline. If you’ve been putting off legal action, we encourage you to contact our attorneys ASAP to see your options.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Work With a Wrongful Death Lawyer From Dismuke Law
If you live in the Southwest Florida area and require the assistance of a wrongful death attorney, you can rely on the professionals at Dismuke Law. We have helped clients through tough cases for many years and can help you, too.
A Lakeland wrongful death lawyer from our office will handle every stage of your case and ensure all deadlines and legal requirements are met. They’ll give you the best shot at recovering the damages you need to support yourself through this difficult time. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation.