Every U.S. state allows you to recover economic and non-economic damages if you or someone you love is injured in an accidental fall. To recover these damages, you must prove that you slipped and fell because of someone else’s negligence. Doing so allows you to explore your options for obtaining financial compensation. In most cases, this will mean filing a personal injury claim or lawsuit against the at-fault party’s insurance company.
Most slip and fall cases are settled out of court based on the evidence’s indication of negligence on the part of another person or entity—most often, the property owner. The laws of your state will govern the preparation, management, and resolution of your case. A Lakeland personal injury attorney can clarify the legal aspects of your case, protect your rights, and provide slip and fall settlement amount examples.
Damages You Can Recover After a Slip and Fall Accident
After a negligence-based accidental fall, you can recover damages for medical expenses, injury and recovery-related income loss, physical, mental, and emotional pain and suffering, loss of enjoyment, loss of quality of life, and more.
Confidential Slip and Fall Accident Settlement Amounts Over $100,000
Every slip and fall injury case has a unique set of recoverable damages. Financial awards can vary greatly based on the severity of your injuries, the amount of time you miss from work, and other important factors.
Examples of personal injury settlements include:
- Although liability was initially denied, an injured client was subsequently awarded a $785,000 settlement in a 2022 premises liability case.
- A $240,000 settlement for back and hip injuries sustained in a slip and fall accident in 2022.
- A $200,000 settlement for debilitating hip, knee, wrist, thumb, and shoulder injuries in a trip and fall accident caused by a disregarded puddle of water in 2022. In this case, a settlement offer was not forthcoming until a lawsuit had been filed.
- A $200,000 settlement after initial denial of responsibility for an injured client in a 2019 premises liability case.
- A $185,000 monetary settlement for a serious leg injury caused by an accidental fall in 2022.
- A $125,000 settlement after an initial offer of only $7,000 following a 2018 slip and fall accident that caused neck and back injuries.
- A $115,000 settlement for hip pain sustained in a slip and fall in 2016. No financial award was offered at first because the bench the client tripped over was stationary.
- A $105,001 financial settlement for back injuries due to a slip and fall accident in 2018. The initial settlement offer was only $10,000 after the client slipped and fell over spilled soda.
When you hire a personal injury lawyer to represent you, they can carefully assess your recoverable damages and create a demand letter on your behalf. They can also compile bills, receipts, estimates, and other documents that substantiate the value of your damage request.
Confidential Slip and Fall Accident Settlement Amounts Under $100,000
Your lawyer will work to gather evidence of the at-fault party or property owner’s negligence. In other words, they must prove they owed you a duty of care and failed to provide it, therefore causing your accident, injuries, and financial consequences.
Recent personal injury settlements for injured clients include:
- A $95,000 settlement after a client slipped and fell in a puddle of water in 2021. The initial settlement offer was only $3,500, with the final settlement coming as the case quickly approached trial.
- A $95,000 settlement for a fall on uneven flooring in 2022. The client was initially offered only $10,000 for the wrist and arm injuries they sustained.
- A $90,000 settlement for a client who fell and was injured when automatic doors malfunctioned in a retail setting in 2020. The initial settlement offer was only $18,000.
- A $90,000 settlement for a client injured in a fall in an apartment complex in 2017. Liability was initially denied, but a settlement offer was made once the case reached litigation.
- A $85,000 settlement when a client fell in 2022 due to her landlord’s failure to safely maintain her residence. The resulting settlement offer was made after depositions were conducted and a lawsuit was filed.
- A $57,500 settlement for a slip and fall accident in 2022 that resulted in back pain for a client who slipped on water. The initial settlement offer was $20,000.
A monetary settlement after an accident can help you get the medical treatment you need and financially support your family until you are recovered and able to return to work.
For a free legal consultation, call 863-250-5050
Causes of Slip and Fall Accidents
Accidental falls can happen when someone slips on a wet floor, trips over an obstacle in their path, or gets struck by falling or flying debris. Other causes of slip and fall accidents that might be attributed to negligence include:
- Spills that were not promptly cleaned up
- Steps and sidewalks that were not shoveled
- Loose flooring or untacked carpeting
- Missing or broken handrails on stairs
- Dim lighting or negligent security
Pictures, video footage, witness statements, medical records, and other forms of evidence can help substantiate the cause of your fall and identify the at-fault party.
Potentially Costly Slip and Fall Accident Injuries
Your accidental fall likely caught you by surprise, perhaps causing you to stop suddenly or put your arms out to break your fall or brace for impact. A reaction like this can easily result in wrist injuries, including fractures. Additional slip and fall injuries include broken limbs, cuts, scrapes, abrasions, and bruising.
Slip and fall accidents can also cause head injuries (such as traumatic brain injury), neck injuries, back injuries, shoulder injuries, soft tissue injuries, and nerve damage.
Carefully track your injuries and medical care costs. Doing so can help you recover all current and future treatment costs related to your fall and recovery.
Learn More About Your Potential Slip and Fall Settlement Amount
If you or a loved one were injured in a slip and fall accident, our personal injury lawyers are ready to fight for compensation on your behalf. During a free consultation, we can discuss your legal options, review slip and fall settlement amount examples, and explore the potential value of your case.
Ask Dave today to learn how hard the team at Dismuke Law will go to bat for you.